- Daskalopetra - Sikiada - Langada - Kardamyla - Amades
- Viki - Kambia - Fyta - Diefka - Pitios
||The area of Vrontados
is the smooth, plain extension of the area where the capital
of the island is situated, to the north, at a distance of
5 km. Many of its inhabitants are sailors.
Vrontados occupies a large area and the local people distinguish
it into the Upper and the Lower Vrontados.
A characteristic symbol of Vrontados is the statue of
"Afanis Naftis" (Lost Sailor), which is the work
of the sculptor Thanassis Apartis. It stands by the seashore,
off the main street, in front of the Town Hall.
Comfortable houses, many of which are quite luxurious, owned
by wealthy sea-captains, with well-kept gardens and orchards
separating one from the other, form the leafy picture of
the area. In one of the many picturesque bays of Vrontados
is the beach "Ormos Lo", well equipped for the
use of bathers.
Vrontados holds the headquarters of the Municipality of
Omiroupolis, which is a relatively new Municipality, after
the joining of the older one of Vrontados with the communities
of Karies, Anavatos, Avgonima, Lagada, Sikiada and Sidirounda.
A little further off the "Ormos Lo" beach is the
attractive shore of Daskalopetra. The local name "Vrissi
Passa" (Pasha' s spring) was given to this area, because
of a spring of fresh water, which still exists there and
which belonged to some Pasha (Governor) of the island. Here,
the tradition says, the blind Homer was abandoned by the
sailors who brought him back from Erythrea. A little to
the east of "Vrissi Passa" is Daskalopetra (Teacher'
s Stone). People call it "Daskalio" while the
European literary people, who visited the area, call it
"Homer's Stone". It' s a big rock, flat on top,
with traces of holy sculptures around it. Local tradition
says that this rock was used as a teacher's desk by Homer,
who recited his poems to local leople.
After "Vrissi Passa" the road continues uphill
along the shores of high cliffs. On the way, to the right,
upon a smooth area with an excellent view of Vrontados,
the area around, and the shores of the Middle East, stands
the tomb of Yannis Psicharis, who was an excellent literary
figure (1854-1929). Rhymes and epigrams can be read on his
A little further north there is the monastery of Myrsinidi
(of Myrtidiotissa Virgin Mary) which is built on a smooth
slope over the sea.On the way we can admire the small bays
of Miligas and Agios Ioannis Tholos, where there is a shipyard
for small ships and boats. Next comes the bay of Pantoukios,
a small village of cottages, mainly used in summer.
Higher, over Pantoukios, is Sykiada a small village, mainly
inhabited by seamen' s families, with both modern and older
houses, some of the latter built of stone, heavy structures,
simple in their materials, characteristic of a living without
any unnecessary luxuries. The village derived its name from
the many fig-trees (sykies), which grew abundantly in the
area at some time.
||On the way north,
after Pantoukios, we come to Lagada after about 3 km. This
is also a village inhabited mostly by seamen' s families,
built deep on the shore of the bay with the same name. The
village derived its name from the large valley (lagadi), open
to the shore, full of olive trees and fruit trees with abundant
springs of fresh water.
Here, too, there are many modern comfortable houses, apart
from the old, traditional ones. The village is built by
the seashore. It is considered to be one of the most beautiful
villages of Chios. In the area we can see some old wind
- mills, quite well-kept despite their age.
Between Sykiada and Lagada there is a small village, Kidiada,
deserted since 1949. It was used by the members of the National
Resistance during the German occupation, as a hiding place
and the base for their numerous attacks.A monument has been
erected there, in their honour.
On the west of Lagada, on the side of a low hill, is a small
village named Agrelopos. On the north, the road forks out
to the side of the hill, over Lagada, and reaches Yyvari,
a small but deep bay that includes a small island, called
Tavros (Bull). The name of Yyvari comes from the Latin "vivarium"
(=fish farm). From here, one can reach Delfini (Dolphin),
an area of historical interest mainly, which has been mentioned
by Thoukidides as a natural port, occupied by the Athenians
in 411 a. D., when the Chians defected from the common alliance.
It was then fortified by Athenians in their wish to control
the circulation of the enemy fleet through the narrow sea
passage.The area derived its name probably from Dolphninan
At a distance of 28 km north of the city of Chios is the
small town of Kardamila.
The first inhabited areas were Prinaritis, Perivolaki, and
Parpanta. During the medieval times the small, village Spilia
was built by the renaining hunted people of the destroyed
city of Kila. Later inhabited areas are Marmaro, Rahi and
Ôhe local people were occupied with farming and cattle
- breeding up to the end of the previous century, when they
gradually turned to the sea. Many of the most important
ship - owners of Greece were born here or came from this
area, while, quite a large number of the local people are
sailors. This, unfortunately, results sometimes in deep
mourning of the village (just as with Vrontados, Lagada,
Sykiada, Oinoussae all of which are mainly inhabited by
seamens' families) after an occasional ship - wreck and
the drowning of the sailors who lose their life to the profit
of the big ship-owning companies.
A Cultural movement in Kardamila, the "Filoproodos
Omilos Kardamilon" (the Club for the Cultural Progress
and Development of Kardamila) was founded in 1979. Now the
Club provides the people with a Library with a variety of
books for them to borrow, a Photography Workshop, as well
as teaching them the local dances and Traditions. A local
folklore Collection is permanently exhibited at the Marmaro
Square. To visit it contact the relative authorities on
phone 0272-22933 every day or 0272-22132 during working
Six kilometres after Kardamyla, the sea-side road
reaches Nagos. It is a leafy area, with abundant springs
of fresh water, a unique summer resort. Its name suggests
the existence of an ancient temple (Naos), the remains
of which were in fact found during excavations in
A little further to the North, we can see Giossonas beach,
taking its name (according to the locals) after Jason (Iasson).
This beach, too, is perfect for swimming. Fresh water spring
flow down from the nearby mountain, Pelineon.
The road goes on to the North, uphill, far up from the shore,
which becomes a steep cliff in most places. After about
10 km from Kardamyla, we come to Amades, and, after 3 and
6 km, we come to Viki and Kambia respectively. All three
villages are built on the sides of Pelineon and are famous
for their excellent tasting cherries.
one can explore Pelineon, the highest mountain in Chios
(1297 m.). The next village is Fyta, with an old fort,
built in 1516. After the next village Diefha, the road
joins the Hora - Volissos road. A little furhter from
this spot, in a secluded area, is Moundon Monastery.
It is a deserted ancient monastery in honour of Agios Ioannis
Prodromos (Saint John the Baptist) that dates from the Byzantine
times, but the oldest documents of the Church referring
to it are of the 16th century.
The monastery was at its peak during the last century of
the Turkish occupation, when it was considered to be one
of the most important religious foundations of the island.
Another mountainous road, the one from Kardamila joins the
Hora - Volissos one at about the 17th km. Along the road
is Pitios, one of the most important villages.